Saturday, 18 March 2017

A 'Fast' approach

Since having Freddie 4 months ago I'm about a stone heavier than before I had him.  I was never completely happy with my weight before having Freddie so you can imagine my utter aggravation at my current situation!  For me though it's more about the fact that none of my clothes fit and I'm not prepared to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe in a larger size.  I stand there nearly every morning looking blankly into the array of outfits that no longer fit, thinking "what can I wear today that won't make me look frumpy and mumsy" and then yet again end up wearing the same old leggings and tunic top that covers a multitude of lumps and bumps.  Don't get me wrong I'm proud of being a mom and the fact that my body has been through the wonderful miracle of pregnancy and childbirth not once but four times, but it's just nice to be me sometimes as well as a mom.  Being 'me' does not usually involve the same old shitty clothes day in, day out but more so a variety of dresses, skirts and skinny jeans.

So, after much reading I've decided to give the 5:2 or Fast Diet a whirl.  Along with some great results in the weight loss department it's also supposed to provide some great health benefits.  The whole concept behind the 5:2 diet is that you have 2 days per week where you 'Fast' which involves eating only 500 calories (600 if you're a man) and then the other 5 days you eat normally.  (New updates from Dr Michael Mosley who designed the 5:2 program say that you can now eat an extra 200 cals on fast days and still be successful.  As there's no real info on this yet I've decided to stay with the 500 for now).  Obviously, if you go crazy on the 'normal' days that this isn't going to help in the weight loss department but the idea is that you have an occasional indulgence such as a sugary treat or a glass of alcohol without it causing serious problems to your plan.




The thing that drew me to the 5:2 plan is that, as the saying goes, you're never more than 24 hours away from eating something nice........I like this idea a lot.  I'm not fooling myself though that the Fast days are going to be easy but I've decided to schedule them in on the days where I'm quite busy so that hopefully I won't notice my hunger pangs quite so much.

I've decided to keep a track of my progress on my blog so that, more than anything, I'm held accountable.  I'd also like to share my experiences with you all so that others thinking of joining the 5:2 ranks can see what the whole thing is like.  I've decided that today will be my start day (fast day) and I'll keep you updated on how I did and what I ate/drank.

Now for the facts.  Yes I'm going to bare all as I think it's the only way to be completely honest with myself.
Day 1 - 18th March 2017
My current weight is......145 lbs (10 st 5)
My current waist measurement is....... 33 ins (can't believe it was 25 before I had children)
My current hip measurement is......... 40 ins
Current dress size.........size 14
I'm 5 ft 3 so my calculations are as follows:
BMI - 25.7
BMR - 1292
TDEE - 1550

I shall be weighing myself once a week and measurements every fortnight to keep you updated.

If you'd like more information on the 5:2 program then have a look at the website www.thefastdiet.co.uk.  You can add your own details into the calculator to see what your current figures are.  I also like to use www.occhealth.co.uk/WeightConversion which is a very clear weight convertor table.  I've ordered my 'Fast Diet' book which should be arriving later today so hopefully this will give me a bit more help and advice.  As far as I can see though, the concept is pretty straightforward.  Wish me luck!!

Thanks for stopping by! x

No comments:

Post a Comment